Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Yellow M&M

As I got into the car after a hurried trip to the grocery, in my seat laid a yellow m&m. My stomach grumbled, urging me to eat it, but the little gremlin who controls my diet piped up “Don’t you eat that!, You’ll ruin everything!”. So, instead I sat on it and continued to my next destination. After an invigorating discussion with my Women’s Networking Group, I returned to my car only to find that damn yellow m&m staring at me again – this time daring me to eat it. Representing all of the things I could not have, all of the ways I was depriving myself and limiting what I could and could not do. For what?!? For thinness? For perfection?


You see I am a mother of 2 small children and so the role models I look to fluctuate between Eva Longoria and Martha Stewart. I tell myself that if I could just be perfect in every way then just maybe what I do each day will be worth something. Don’t get me wrong, I know that Mothers are valued on the surface, but let’s be real shall we? Very few girls are supported to have the dream to be a mother. It is a worthy job, but a thankless job when it comes to putting any value of substance on it. It is isolating, scary, rewarding, filled with love, frustrating, and did I mention lonely?

These are the thoughts that run through my head as I look at that yellow m&m in the seat of my car. My power as a woman and a mother seemed to exist in my willpower not to eat that little circle disk.  So, as I drove home from the meeting (sitting on the yellow m&m) I thought about all of the ways I withhold my own power from myself. Always creating a new goal before the next is reached. Always taking responsibility for EVERYTHING in our home. Always undervaluing the worth of my work.  All the ways our culture undervalues my work. 

And then I started to get pissed. Pissed because I matter, even if America doesn’t want to recognize it. Pissed because I have been sitting on my own power, both literally and figuratively, because our culture has been implicitly telling not to make any waves. As I reached my driveway I was feeling strong from my anger, and so I removed myself from that little yellow m&m, and as a symbol of my power and fortitude of being a strong, magnificent woman, I reached down, grabbed that yellow m&m and ate it. I crunched into that sweet hard candy shell, felt the soft chocolate within wash over my mouth and I realized that they cannot hold me back any longer.

By “they” I mean the looming “they”. The “they” there is no name for. The “they” that is the accepted state of our culture. The “they” that perpetuates the stereotypes and oppression of moms in our country. Yes I am talking about the “they” that is us. Our own actions have perpetuated the myths that hold us down as moms. The myth that we cannot have a fulfilling career AND be amazing mothers. The myth that we cannot have both and be happy to our core. Yes it is us moms who are most guilty of allowing these beliefs to sink into our psyche. We then allow the guilt to slowly devour us from the inside until there is little left of our hearts to give to others, let alone our ourselves.

I am frustrated by the amount of time I have wasted with this idea of “perfect mom”. And maybe this anger turns some of you off, but my hope is that it inspires passion in your heart. False contentment has never sparked passion. Lives are not prompted to change by satisfaction with the status quo. Change is sparked by the person who stands up and says I am not happy here – and then proceeds to move, leading anyone who will follow.  This community is about those of you who want change, but have lost the passion and direction you need to make those changes. My hope is that I will infect you with passion, and if a bit of anger is what it takes to get you moving then I am here to provide that. Eat that yellow m&m if for no other reason than you can and you deserve it!

Some of us are walking through a hallway of a thousand open doors and we see none of them because we have on blinders that force our vision to the narrow, never ending length of an empty hallway. Some of you want and need more in your lives and I am here to support you and tell you that sometimes you have to stand up for your dreams. Rip off the blinders forced onto you by a society that does not value you and see the possibilities that God is offering in each moment of this amazing blessed life.

This is a community for women who are tired of being undervalued. Women who need inspiration and connection to fend off the isolation that comes with being a mom, a place to be lifted up to your own personal power and success. This is not a place for moms to be compared to the lie of perfection in media driven images. Pictures of mothers with perfect bodies, perfectly cleaned and decorated homes, and perfectly behaved children not welcome….oh no this is a place for real mothers, powerful women who like nothing more than to eat yellow m&ms dammit!

10 comments:

  1. Beauty and Inspiring. Courageous and bold words, you are an amazing writer with so much deep wisdom to give. Please keep giving. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love yellow M&Ms! :~) You're a really great writer, very impressive! I loved this first post and can't wait to read more! I'm by no means Martha Stewart and proud of that! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely guilty of aspiring to perfection and taking on EVERYTHING in our home. About 9 months ago I started working to change that. I have made progress. Baby steps. There is a long road ahead, but, as you so eloquently stated, I'm the one with the power to change it. Thank you for the reminder! I'm so glad you're entering the blog world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its funny how we feed on our thoughts until one day an outlet presents itself when we are ready to confront them. I believe your outlet was partially fueled by your rebirth in a way over 2009. May 2010 be filled with ah ha moments. Love ya & keep writing. You are an inspiration to me as an educator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written. Trying to be a "perfect mother" will only leave you feeling bad about yourself. Just enjoy this time and let the house go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely Said! Great writing! I am proud of you for being the best mom and women that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of the support guys! Love you all muah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog Shawna! (This is Leslie) I don't really have that problem cause I could care less about the dishes :) But all mine go right into the dish washer so I never have to look at them! Anyway, you are a great writer & I am so glad you ate the M&M! You are beautiful & perfect just the way you are!
    Love ya,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words resinate with me, although I was one of those girls who never felt held down by cultural rules, I was too naive to be that empathetic to culture when I was younger plus I was raised by the strongest stay home mom, on a farm, way out in in the middle of nowhere - I'm sure that all played a part in my developing attitudes.
    I have many many stories of the guilt of a mother (completely NOT perfect am I). But one thing has helped me come back around, and that is my son himself. He is the oldest soul I know and was given to me as a gift (I am the youngest soul I know) we make a good team him and I.
    You have a wonderful gift. You will help & teach many women with your words. And spur some good conversation. Cant's wait to keep following your blog.
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read a few of your more recent posts...and decided to go back to the start to see what motivated you to begin. Glad I did. LOVE this post. Thanks for the power boost. Going to bed and getting ready to kick the worlds butt in the AM!

    ReplyDelete